Wednesday 3 September 2008

My football adventure!


So, I have decided that this football season, I am going to watch a game at every level of the English Pyramid from the Premiership down to the lower echelons of the North West Counties/Northern/Northern Counties East League.

I currently live in Wigan, which for all its faults, is blessed with its proximity to teams at every level. I am also a Farsley Celtic fan and no stranger to the joys of non-league football. I've wanted to go to a shitload of football games and write about them since I read 'The Far Corner' by Harry Pearson, which is a rather great book. Pearson travels around the North East of England watching matches from the Northern League, all the way up to the Premier League, in 1993/4. Newcastle still had terracing at the Gallowgate end and Sunderland and Middlesbrough were rocking Roker and Ayresome respectively.

I am beginning my football adventure this saturday, at Farsley, which means adventure is a bit of a misnomer as I have been going to Throstle Nest for about 15 years! Also, I don't think I'll go to too many games in Yorkshire either. I'm planning to go to games when I've got nothing to do in Wigan on a saturday afternoon or tuesday night.

So, from Preston to Prescot, Wigan Athletic to Wigan Robin Park, Atherton Colleries to Atherton Laburnum Rovers... I'm gonna do this!

1 comment:

Richard Barrett said...

not really got a comment to make...just thought i'd say hello. so: hello!