Sunday 7 September 2008

Farsley Celtic v Stalybridge Celtic

The first day of the intrepid adventure thrust itself upon me and I thrust myself upon the Moon Under Water, the Wigan Wetherspoons pub. I went to line my stomach ahead of the day's transpennine trip and because a Wetherspoons breakfast is always good when one is slightly hungover.
I didn't think that I endeared myself to the punters in there very well. Coffee and a vegetarian breakfast isn't exactly de rigueur, when everyone else is drinking pints at 9:20 in the morning, on their own. I stopped short of buying a 'quality' newspaper though, buying one later.

The train journey from Wigan to Leeds, via Piccadilly was largely uneventful apart from realising I'd left my glasses at home when I was halfway between Wigan and Hindley, getting molested by an Alsatian was another event. I then returned to my family home in Horsforth, before travelling by car to the ground. I'd like to think that this will be the last bit of car travel that any other visits to games will see, its more fun/challenging/interesting using public transport.

And so to the game and the mighty Throstle Nest. I find it hard to make observations about the Nest, cos I've been attending games there for about 15 years. From being an annoying 9 year old, to becoming a discernible football follower. There was both groups of people there and all kinds of people inbetween. I went to the game with my dad, his friend Stuart and my ladyfriend Sara. Sara has grown to accept that a day out at a non-league football game is a very romantic event. I also met Graham from my work who is a Stalybridge Celtic fan, he opted for the changing ends option so I didn't see him when the game was in place. We stood with a small enclave of Farsley fans by the half-way line and the cage from where the players emerge. Most of these blokes are aged 50 upwards, seem to have seen so much down at the Nest and have some excellent things to shout at the referee and opposition players, I think every non-league ground has such people.

Despite the deluge of rain that come the night before, the pitch was looking good and most of the game was played in sunshine. Observations on the opposition were that they were sponsered by a hand sanitizer (a festival essential) and their no.6 reminded me of Tony Adams, I think it was the haircut or perhaps the fact that my glasses were sat at home in Wigan. The Tony Adams bloke, took a knock in the eye in the first half, telling a Farsley fan it was an eyelash in his eye. Another highlight was Stalybridge's no.3 throwing a tantrum 'fuck off, its our ball ref!'. He got booked for that and also got the home fans giving him what for (me included).

Stalybridge's first goal, came from Farsley been at sixes and sevens but Andy Campbell leveled it a bit later. I was talking at the time and I was surprised to see how the goal was scored, I think it took some deflection or other. I suck at watching football. I read a description of Andy Campbell on an internet messageboard: 'that Ginner who played for Boro and fell out of the ugly tree hitting every branch on the way down', I did spot him from that description I must say. He may not be the most handsome bloke in the well, but he does kick some arse out on the park.

Our second half vantage point was from behind the goal, so my dad could sit down because of his new ankle. There's some strange seats behind the goal that are a legacy from meeting Conference Ground regs, although I think anyone over 4 foot tall would struggle to sit in the seats behind the front row. Another legacy from Farsley's conference spell last season is the segregation fence which separated the Farsley bootboys from the likes of York, Aldershot and Oxford fans.

One of the best things at Farsley is the tannoy man shouting 'GOOOOOAAALLLL' when the home team take the lead. This became 'GOOOOAALLL... WOOOAH...WHAT???', when Farsley had a potential late winner ruled out. Before that though, Walshaw put Farsley ahead after about 55 minutes, coolly slotting the ball under 'bridge's keeper. Stalybridge's equaliser came from a scramble and then their winner came at the death in controversial circumstances. Straight after the aforementioned ruled out goal, 'bridge's goal came from a free kick, which baffled the hoardes of Farsley fans behind the goal. Jubilant scenes amongst the healthy (in terms of amount, obviously) travelling support, not so much for the home fans, who's team are finding it difficult to readjust back down at this level.

I would normally write a conclusion here, but I can't find much to say about a ground I am so familiar with. Having said all that, pictures would have done the job better:









No comments: